7 Tips for Installing Tiles in Your Home
In construction circles, tile laying is considered an art form. It is not as easy as it might look, as the tilers have to follow standard procedures, instructions, and techniques to get the layout and the holding right.
It is therefore highly advisable to approach only those ceramic manufacturers that provides pecialized tile solutions such as adhesives and grouting, and also have a team of skilled experts to carry out the tile installation process.
Once you’ve chosen the tiles for your home or office space, and are ready to begin with the laying operation, you need to be keep in a mind these 6 useful tricks and tips that will aid not only you, but the tilers in their work as well. Take a look:
1. Always stress upon a visual reference and a site map before installing tiles. This will help you get a fair idea of how the finished product might look, and how you can work around the patterns. Some companies also provide a 3D simulation software for the same. Also, keep at least 7% tiles in reserve in order to account for broken tiles.
2. Ensure that the subfloor is rigid enough. Good way to test that is by jumping on several spots. If there is any movement, then that is a warning sign. A weak subfloor could lead to cracking in grout joints.
3. Always check the level and flatness of the surface before installing floor tiles.Use a level to discover depressions and bumps in the surface, and even them outwith the help of building paper.
4. Follow the quarter method for tile laying. All you need to do is mark the midpoint of all the four walls, and connect opposite walls in straight lines. This will form as quare cross in the centre of the room. Place a tile in the centre, and performa dry run by placing tiles along the lines. This way, any cut tiles will be located towards the edges and not the centre.
5. Stick to grout joints of thickness 1/8 to 3/16 inch. This is because larger grout joint sare susceptible to cracking and get dirty quite easily. In a multiple-sized tile layout, opt for grout thickness of ¼ inch.
6. Carry the grout cleaning process for at least 3 days. Removal of grout residue from the floor can be achieved through a damp, abrasive sponge, or a solution of vinegar and warm water. Thereafter, seal the grouts within 7 days.
Follow these tips to enhance the tile installation operation, and rest assured of durable and dirt-free flooring and walls that will maintain spatial aesthetics for years to come.